Castable fish finders are small units that can be casted out, perfect for anglers that want to utilize sonar technology but are restricted to fishing off the shore, dock or pier.
Just like their mounted counter parts, they can help identify structure as well as fish, both large and small. Instead of an integrated screen, they utilize WiFi or Bluetooth to transmit feedback to your phone or tablet.
Below are the top 3 castable fish finders you can find on the market today.
Deeper Sonar PRO+
Deeper released 3 products with the PRO+ being the top of the line. It has all the bells and whistles an angler needs to start finding fish and stacks up competitively against its mounted competitors.
- Works via WiFi hotspot and is compatible with both Apple and Android devices.
- Integrated GPS allows for real-time bathymetric mapping as well as offline mapping.
- 330ft casting range and scanning depth of 260ft.
- Allows for reporting on depth, structure, temperature and fish location data.
- Dual frequency sonar (290 kHz / 90kHz) allows for use on shore, in boat as well as ice fishing.
- Rechargeable battery with up to 6 hours of battery life.
Reel Sonar iBobber
The iBobber is the smallest castable fish finder on the market with basic features and a simple-to-use app.
- Compatible with Apple and Android devices that use Bluetooth Smart.
- Casting range of 100ft and scanning depth of 135ft.
- Rechargeable battery with up to 10 hours of battery life.
- Single-frequency beam allows for 243 foot diameter max range and 42 degree sonar angle.
- GPS allows for spot tagging with interactive map.
- App allows for Trip Log with date, time, location, water temp, conditions, type of fishing, lure, number and species of fish caught.
- Toggle between fish tagging feature and raw sonar.
- Can be used as a bobber (has strike alarm) or deployed independently.
FishHunter Directional 3D
FishHunter Directional is one of the smallest devices on the market but packs a lot of power. It has 5 tri-frequency transducers which allows for more coverage, more power and refined maps so you can find more fish. The device provides 5 different views: Bathymetric Mapping, 3D Structure Mapping, Directional Casting, Ice Fishing Flasher and 3D Fishing.
- Works via WiFi and is compatible with both Apple and Android devices.
- Casting range of 160ft and scanning depth of 200ft.
- Battery life of up to 10 hours or up to 500 hours stand by.
Bathymetric Mapping – Allows you to create a custom map of an entire lake or favourite fishing spots.
- Create custom maps by trolling or reeling your FishHunter
- Track depth and bottom contour as you travel around the lake
- Navigate back to map location easily using GPS
3D Structure Mapping - Create custom 3D.
- Ability to reel, drift or troll over the area you wish to map
- Easily see drop offs and their relative depth and distance
- GPS tagged so you can save the map and spot for next time
Directional Casting – View that is unique to the Directional 3D line.
- Tells you exactly where to cast your line in relation to your sonar
- Significantly increases your chances of your bait being where it needs to be
3D Fishing - Allows you to create “life like” images of the bottom which is beneficial to:
- Evaluate bottom contour quickly
- Identify bottom features quickly
Ice Fishing Flasher - helps detect fish in your ice hole and enables viewing of your jig in real time.
- Ability to work in weather conditions as cold as -20˚F (-30˚C)
- Floats in the hole versus being submerged beneath the ice
- Ability to find the bottom depth without having to drill a hole
These are our top picks for castable fish finders. Each has its own unique set of features and are great for any land-bound anglers!